AJS motorcycles were taken over by Matchless in 1931 which resulted in the production shifting from the original Wolverhampton factory to new works in Woolwich, south London. From that point on the bikes became increasingly similar, using the same engines, gearboxes and other major components.
Originally designated ‘Model 2’, AJS’s top of the range V-twin continued in its Wolverhampton built form before being replaced in 1932 by a Matchless Model X engined equivalent. Used primarily for sidecar duty, the newcomer became available in ‘export’ specification in 1933, the ‘American’ styling had a foot-operated clutch, left-side gear lever and swept-back handlebars. The Model 2 continued in production in both domestic and export forms until 1939.
This fabulous ‘export’ model was first registered here in the UK 1st March 1939 and retains it original registration number. A ‘buff’ logbook with the bike dating from 1947 states the bike was fitted with a sidecar and remained in the Croydon, south London area until 1958. Discovered in an unrestored state it has been the subject of a recent comprehensive restoration by the National Motorcycle Museum at their own workshop and as such bears a solid silver plaque on the rear number plate bracket confirming this.
In absolutely excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically it has only covered test milage and is ready to go. Accompanied with a small history file this is an excellent opportunity to acquire an increasing rare and valuable British pre War V twin motorcycle that has just had a complete restoration.