The first Harley side valve ‘Flat Head’ V Twin appeared way back in 1929 as the Model D. It’s 45 cubic inch engine was smaller than the company’s existing 61 and 74 cui motors which then became known as “Big Twins.”
Immensely durable the ’45′ remained in production for more than four decades mainly due to its unstressed reliability. During that time it was used in not only street motorcycles, but also in three wheeled ‘Servi-Cars’ and most famously in the military WLA’s of the 1940’s which made up the bulk of the production.
This example from 1942 was originally a WL ‘A’ for army but has been turned into a civilian ride. Registered in Holland for some years it has recently been imported to the UK and registration has been applied for. In good running order and fitted with a new battery the bike is in nice usable condition.