Built 1933 chassis no. Z10365 was first registered in Surrey and was probably purchased directly from the factory. Records do not show what coachwork the 10ft 9in chassis originally carried, approximately 720 cars were produced but only 140 are known to have survived. Carrying an original factory T7 body and now fitted with a 3½ litre Lagonda engine the car first became known to the Lagonda Club in January 1949 while in the ownership of one J L Hackett of Droitwich. Within a year it had been sold to Dr N W Irish of Shefford, Bedfordshire and changed hands again in 1951, passing to Squadron Leader R V Mosse of Lingfield, Surrey. The next owner T H Roberts rebuilt the car in 1963, contributing an article about it to the Club’s magazine. He kept the Lagonda until about 1967. In 1970 it belonged to a prominent Club member, Edward Dames-Longworth of Westbury, Wiltshire. However by November 1971 the car was exported to the USA where it stayed until 1989 when it was retuned to the UK and owned by dealer and collector Peter Harper, at this time the original registration number of ‘APG 428’ was reunited with the car.
Sold in 1990 the car underwent some recommission work, the electrics were fully rewired and the instruments reconditioned as well as the carbs rebuilt, it was used frequently until 2002 after which it returned to long term storage. In 2013 we were fortunate to handle the sale of the car after getting back to a roadworthy condition, at that time we fitted a new clutch overhauled the steering and brake system and some of the electrics. The new owner kept the car in his collection and continually improved and maintained it where necessary, eventually deciding to replace the original Lagonda gearbox with a more tractable 5 speed Rover unit, this work undertaken by a specialist engineering company.
Since the car was returned to us it has undergone further recommission work in our service dept, the correct 19” wheels have been restored and shod with new Blockley tires, a new mohair hood has been fitted as well as some interior trim work. In addition the car has received a full service, overhaul of the fuel tank, new fuel lines and carbs overhauled. It remains in generally very good order, the integrity of the original T7 touring body is very good although the paint is obviously showing signs of age, the interior is also aged but has a nice patina, with no rips or tears in the leather. Mechanically the car is very good, the engine holds great oil pressure with no overheating and runs well, the 5 speed gearbox makes the car not only very easy to drive but copes much better with modern road conditions. The original gearbox is supplied with the car.
An infinity useable pre War sporting car, with beautiful touring coachwork it is supplied with bills for all the recent and previous work plus the UK V5C logbook and various instruction and parts books, it is a delight to drive and represents great value in the current market for collector cars of this age. SOLD.