Following the closure of the Triumph factory in 1983 the rights to the Triumph brand were bought by property developer John Bloor. The new ‘Triumph Motorcycles Limited’ was to develop an entirely new range of models, but in the meantime a license was granted to Les Harris to build bikes as his firm had been making parts for Triumphs for many years.
Production recommenced at Harris’s factory in Newton Abbott, Devon in 1985 and continued until the license ran out in 1988. Up to 14 machines per week – mostly Bonnevilles and Tigers – were assembled from parts left over from the Meriden factory, although the Harris-built machines also used components such as forks, brakes and controls, sourced from European manufacturers.
Approximately 1200 Harris Bonnevilles were produced, this fine example was registered 13th March 1987 and is only showing 5,725 miles that are believed genuine. A matching number example it is fitted with the correct Paioli front forks with twin Brembo callipers / discs and upgraded Koni rear shocks. The bike also has a Norman Hyde oil cooler. In all round very good condition and in excellent running order it is supplied with a few service invoices, the UK V5C logbook, a stamped service book and the original owners handbook. Arguably the best 750 Bonneville built, the Harris T140 is a must for any series Triumph collector.