The factory records show this genuine Black Shadow was completed 19th July 1951 and dispatched to Whittaker’s of Blackpool where it was registered FFR 69 on the 24th ’51. These records also show that the upper frame member (UFM) was incorrectly stamped and recored as 9224 it was then corrected in the build sheet and the rear frame member (RFM) was stamped 9234, the engine case numbers 68SS match. This information was confirmed by the Vincent Ones Club and is also recorded on a Certificate of Authenticity supplied wit the bike along with the factory build sheets.
The first owner is thought to be a Mr Ernest Wright who’s name appears on a DVLA ownership trace record and on a copy of buff logbook, he is thought to have owned the bike for some 38 years selling the bike in 1989 to a Mr John Ruff who intern sold it 1994 to a Mary Haigh who sold the bike in 2000 to the previous owner of some 18 years. During this period it was restored by John Weedon in the late 1980’s, and was very well maintained by the previous owner with many receipts and bills for work in the comprehensive history file that accompanies this fine example.
Having featured in Classic Bike magazine in July 2007 ( copy on file ) and also the VOC’s own DVD about Black Shadows it remains in very good overall cosmetic condition and is in fine running order having just had a service in our workshop. Fitted with a centre ‘tread down’ stand it is great example of one of the most coveted and collectible classic motorcycles.