Records show that this Matchless engined SS80 left the works on the 5th Feb. 1938 and was sold to a Mr O B Smyth, registered as EAU 858, a number which it retains today. This Deluxe version of the SS80 featured Castle front forks a chrome fuel tank and a plunger frame No. BSX4671 also all of which it retains today along with many other nice original components. By 1952 it was owned by Mr Richard Aspden of Doncaster and remained in his family 48 years until 2000 when it was purchased by Brough Club member and collector Jack Williamson.
A very comprehensive restoration was then undertaken by Mr Williamson to get the bike ready for the Brough Annual Rally in 2001 which it attended. Details of this work are recorded in a large history file that includes much communication with the Brough Club. A copy of the factory record card confirms that this is a matching number machine, we also have a buff log book that dates to 1952, the paper work suggests that the bike has only had a total of just 4 owners from new.
Remaining in excellent condition overall the bike has seen little use since and had recently been in a private collection, only used in the good weather for the occasional rally.This is a truly exceptional example, the restoration still looks fresh but has had a chance to age nicely, the mechanics are all good, the bike starts easily with the engine running vey well. In short, one of the best SS80’s we have seen for a while, a matching number bike with good history. A sound investment that is also ready to ride.