Built in 1938 this Model X was not first registered until July 1944 possibly due to the War. The original buff logbook that is with the bike states the first owner as Mr George Scott of Terrington St Clement, Norfolk who kept the bike until 1957 selling to a well-known enthusiast and Vincent specialist Cyril Crowe of Sandringham, Norfolk.
The Matchless was then inherited by his brother-in-law in the 1980’s by which time it was in need of restoration. Work commenced on a major overhaul and refurbishment: the forks, engine and gearbox being reconditioned; the frame powder coated; all other cycle parts repainted; the tank chromed; and a new hand-made stainless exhaust fitted, photos of the bike before and after restoration are included in the history file.
Having got this far in the restoration sadly stalled until the bike was taken up by a new owner early in 2000. Further investigation revealed that the cam shaft was worn and a new one was sourced from the Brough Superior Club along with other engine parts. Following the magneto and dynamo rebuild the bike was used regularly for many years.
Further work was carried out between 2014 and 2015 at cost of aprox £3,250 to maintain the bike in good reliable working order which it remains in today.
A matching number example in fine condition it has also received a service in our work shop and remains in great running order, supplied with a good history file.
The Model X had been in production since 1929 but the revamp for the ’37 model which included shortening the frame transferred the bike into a very creditable sports tourer equal and possibly better that its rival cousin the Brough SS80.